Thursday 4 October 2012

Back to Blogging.....

It has now been a little over three months since I had my last dose of chemotherapy.  I cannot believe how fast that time has passed.  It is just short of a year since my diagnosis; this time last year I was in constant, excruciating pain, I looked grey and very ill and I was loosing so much weight.  I was also working full time, looking after my 10 month old daughter, running my home and also preparing for an OFSTED!  I still cannot believe that I managed to do all of that; I remember feeling that if I sat down and stopped I would never get up again!  I would keep on at an incredible pace from 6am until 10pm when I would drop into bed feeling hugely exhausted.  I also still had no idea just how ill I was; but I knew in the back of my mind that something was seriously wrong.

I am really proud of how far I have come and how much I have battled to get where I am today.  I am sure that I have already shared a quote that I can hugely relate to 'You don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only option that you have.'  This is so very true; when I speak to people about my experience I am always told that they cannot believe how strong I was and how they don't think they would have reacted in the same way if it was them.  But I would have said that if I was them!  There was no choice but to be strong; there was no way this cancer was going to beat me and take me away from my family, friends and beautiful daughter.

I cannot say that the past three months have been easy; most of the time I am able to be 'normal'.  I enjoy being a normal Mum, doing normal thing like shopping, swimming, catching up with friends, having a cheeky drink, etc.  But I can also honestly say that there hasn't been a day since that I haven't thought about cancer and what I went through.  I am fully aware that this has totally changed me; I will never be the same person again.  I have learnt so much; who and what is important, how fragile life is and how it is the little things that matter the most.  The emotions have been hitting me really hard; I try not to constantly look backwards, but I am aware that I do have a lot of feelings to work through.  When I recall events from last year I feel a real sense of fear and panic; these are the emotions that I put into a little box when I was going through my operation, recovery and treatment. 

I am still a long way from being 'OK' again; this is what I struggle with slightly!  Because the treatment has finished and I look 'OK', lots of people think I am fine.  But this is not quite true; I am still experiencing numb fingers and toes, I still get an itchy rash about every three weeks, I am still exhausted and have low energy levels and my immune system has not yet recovered.  My Oncologist has said that it can take up to a year for all of these side affects to go and I am mindful that I still need to look after myself.

So I am now travelling on the second phase of this journey; this journey will last a lifetime. 

Sorry for the absence.....I will update you will what has happened since my last post over the weekend.

Much Love Cx

No comments:

Post a Comment